Lay Me A Stalk of White Lily

Credit: freepik



If I were to go before you,

Let me leave in peace to an eternal sleep.

Don't come near me if none of those words you have shall bring me closure.

I have beared too much bottled-up in my heart,

To go... I wish for it to be a graceful one.


Stay at the door if you shalln't have the guts to speak the regrets to my withering frame...

I shall know what you feel and how you felt about me once I'm gone.

Only walk towards my dying bed if you shall kiss my forehead for the first, and last time before we part.

Hold my hands and bring them to your face,

So that I can finally see what I would've looked like if my age weren't to be cut short, alas only through my touch.

Let me feel the bones and skin that belong to the one whose blood I was made from, and shall drop for the last time.


Soak me no tears of sorrow, spare me no frowns.

Only give me smiles and prayers from deep within your heart,

For no one shall be sad when I go.

Favour me your guards for once to keep the evils away from looking at me.

I shall die not with a big name, an honourable title, nor a renowned career...

Rather, I shall die in dignity... and a great story to read into and look up upon.

A story of survival, a tale of victory, a heritage of cultures, and a great story of love, both romance and happiness.


Then, when my heart stops beating, cover my face from the hairline down to my chin and say the good wishes in my ears as you would've done to me as a newborn child.

Lastly... while others leave petals of roses, lay me a stalk of white lily...

Because you, my father, were the lily of my valley.


- Qadeem Shaher

Popular Posts