ROZITA ROHAIZAD, THE LITTLE LESS KNOWN JEWEL OF MALAYSIAN MUSIC

Byline: Qadeem Zieman

On August 3rd, I had the opportunity to attend the showcase of Rozita Rohaizad’s held at Liberal Latte in Kota Damansara.

I’ve known Rozita for quite some years now, but I never really got the idea of who she really is. However, as years emerged, I have grown quite fond of her personality that I found to be embossed with such knowledge, grace and elegance, enhanced even more so with the essence of drama inherited from the genes of her mother, the late silver screen goddess, Mariani, and aunt the late legendary icon, Biduanita (National Songstress) Puan Sri Saloma. I would always be captivated by the way she speaks, especially when in detail of something. It’s almost like watching a real-life theatre.



Apart from her captivating beauty and timeless persona which perhaps could even come across as a scandalous mix of Joan Collins with a hint of naughtiness of Blanche Devereux, one of the things that continues to amaze me is her eagerness to learn.

Despite being an experienced singer, she never seems to have enough knowledge. May it be Gamelan, Keroncong, Sinden, or Chinese Opera. She would religiously commit to attending more and more classes and courses to prepare her for upcoming shows or just to learn for fun.

Commonly known as the ‘clone’ of her aunt, I have never really gotten the chance to view her as a soloist until recently. Although I often listened to her song ‘Hingga Ke Akhirnya’, it was not until I attended the showcase that I really saw her perform as ‘ROZITA’.



The songstress shared her fondest memories as a young singer in the late-70s ending her contract to the giant record company, EMI just after releasing her debut album, ‘Hari Yang Ku Nantikan’ to widen her horizon and experience working as a back-up singer and dancer to Anita Sarawak in Las Vegas. “I was lucky that I was not sued and that it was a mutual departure, I guess EMI was also thinking the same as I was not really doing much during my time there. Anita, with whom I had followed for over a year, taught me a lot, I had gathered much bittersweet memories working as a young girl.”

She also paid heartfelt tributes to her beloved aunt, Saloma, producers, Tan Sri Ahmad Nawab and Adnan Abu Hassan, as well as her father, H.M Rohaizad whom she had lost at the young age of 4, followed by a rendition of his penned song, ‘Ikan Kekek’, fondly recognised by most children as a lullaby growing up, which was then followed by the infamous provocative song, ‘Anak Ikan’ that caused her to be labelled as a ‘cougar’ by the critics in 2016.



Rozita also acted several times in films and dramas such as Setinggan, Sumpahan Puaka, and others. The start of her acting career began as her mother, Mariani, felt uneasy with her being a singer and following the footsteps of Saloma, whom she referred to as ‘Mama’. “I wanted to make my mother happy, so then, I tried venturing into the acting field”

The evening affair, ‘DIA, ROZITA ROHAIZAD’ was then paired along with impromptu duets with fans, followed by cheeky performances with actor Radhi Khalid who is said to be planning his own showcase next.




The highlight of the show to me was when she told a story of when her husband died in 2006. She picked up the guitar and played an acoustic intro to her song from the 3rd album, ‘Syair Sang Bulan’, a poetic and sentimental heartbreak song she had recorded after 16 years of break. She was coaxed by fans to make a comeback two years after her husband's passing. “I didn’t know people still loved me, so I invested a total of RM40,000 to produce the album. Whilst I was recording this song (Syair Sang Bulan), I was stunned by my own voice! I didn’t know I could still sing!”. The album was said to only consist of 4-8 tracks, but after the first recording session, Rozita decided to make a full album of 10 songs, as she found herself to be in her good ol’ happy shoes again.

Looking at the lady aged 67 years old dressed so beautifully in a black kebaya that captured her figure and adorned with sparkling jewels was one thing, yet to see her perform energetically in different genres were another. That evening, Rozita did not only captured the hearts of the audience with her youthful appearance, but with her flirtatious and sensual voice, she has proven that age is indeed just a number as she serenaded the attendees for over 3 hours with melodic tunes through the night.

She also said that she is currently in the midst of discussing another showcase to pay tribute to the late Julie Sudiro with Dato’ Yusni Hamid as a duo.



Rozita who has countless times represented Malaysia musically in Australia happens to be the one person who constantly pushes me to do better in singing without fail since 2018, I remember her coaching me to perform a song on Eid at Seri Pacific Hotel, Kuala Lumpur. She currently holds the position as a secretary of Karyawan. Her kind words and mentorship would never fail those who seek her for help.

Similarly to a diamond, It is such a shame that we fail to see the value in her work all these years. Given her status and talent, not to mention the collection of songs she had recorded over the past 46 years, I believe she should be far more appreciated, but what can I say when favouritism happens to seek their way through. It is something that we know to be unfair yet continue to go along with.

Nevertheless, I still wish to see her on television next if it isn’t too much to ask.


Popular Posts