Are Indians Not Humans? | Racism Towards Indians in Malaysia

 


Perhaps I am too ‘sensitive’ when it comes to this subject, but all my life, I can’t seem to be able to recall a moment without being surrounded by racism.

As I have mentioned in my past articles, I come from a ‘mamak’ family, and the way I was brought up was maybe not as typical as some might think… our Raya or Eid celebration was never one to be celebrated with the Malays in our neighbourhood, but more often, we would have my mother’s friends coming over to fill in the mood, most of them were Indians.

I was raised and cared for by my mother’s Indian friends, and some of them still keep in touch with me even though it has been nearly 3 years since her passing. Some brought me out to visit the temples and Gurdwara, some fed me food, gave me pocket money and some of them gave me moral support from time to time while my own family members acted like I never existed.

Being an Indian-blooded Malay, raised single-handedly by a half-Indian mother, I had always loved the Indian culture and tradition, I had always wanted to know more about my roots, and I especially would like to know what my biological father would’ve looked like, and there are no other words that I could ever say to voice my appreciation and gratitude to the Indian community for always being kind to me since the first day I was born, other than the 2 words, thank you.

 

A few days ago, a bitter taste of memory inside of me woke as I received a phone call in the morning from my aunt’s friend who was offering me a ‘business’ opportunity. It all started with “How are you?” to “Oh, I just found out you’re living with an Indian, oh dear, I am so worried. Is there really no other place?”. Yes, I am living with an Indian, I am renting a room in an Indian house, and frankly, I see nothing wrong with that. My mother was an Indian lady, so what’s the big deal?

If anything, the Indians were there for me and my mother the most when we almost lost our home back in 2020, the Indians were there to feed us food, and cater to our well-being with no hidden agendas, may they be the North or the south Indians, Hindus, Christians, Muslims and even Sikhs.

I remember the time when I was left starving in the house while the Malays of my own blood were having the best time of their lives, eating KFC in the living room while watching my television. I was only receiving RM100 a month to cover all my expenses when my mother’s old friend by the name of Martin Ignatius came to visit me at the house on that Sunday and brought me Briyani and Indian sweets. Not to mention her other friends from The Star, Simrit Kaur Amar Singh, Sujata Poobalasingham and Shamala Velu who had always been there for me whenever I needed extra dough, food or even just advice.

Until today, I am very grateful for the sustenance that was given to me by the Indian community in my hometown, Petaling Jaya, especially the food given by the 2 local Indian restaurants, Kavitha Banana Leaf and House of Pakeeza (Tn Haji Amin)

 


That racist statement also triggered the old scenes in my childhood days when my mother was constantly bullied and harassed by her in-laws, who would make fun of her outfits. If she wore yellow, they would say “Oh aunty, you just bathed in turmeric, ah?” if she wore red, “Wow! Deepavali came early!”.

And one day, she wore a Chikankari kurti in white with multi-coloured thread work, one man said “Oh, you just got back from Pongal ka?”  It was almost as though my mother was only allowed to wear white. But when it came to cooking food like their old-time favourite, Fish Head Curry, oh man… my mother would be the first person they would go to for ‘help’.

Until today, I still can’t get my head around the fact that some people were raised by my Indian grandmother, who so happens to be carrying the same blood, yet are being very racist by calling me and other people the ‘K’ word.

 

Now it is 2024, are Indians still being looked at as slaves? And why is it so “worrying” for someone to be living with an Indian? My mother was an Indian, was it wrong for her to have kids and live with her own kids? You're trying to get a ‘Mamak’ on board with a 'business plan', yet you make fun of the Indians upon approaching him. Have you done your homework? I come from an Indian family all the way from Uttar Pradesh. Every part of my body has been developed by the Indian community throughout the years. They fed and catered to my welfare during the lowest points of my life, while the Malays just neglected my existence. And just because I am of a Malay status, do you think that I would be on board with your racism? I’m sorry, but I'm out!

Popular Posts