KFC, Where Memories Took Place

We all have a place or two that we keep very close to our hearts, like a home, a park…

Growing up, I was never really allowed to play out in the sun, and going to the park was further down the list of places I couldn’t go. I only went to the park near my house with my father every once in a while when he visited me, and even then, we were accompanied by the maid. We barely even spent any time together as he would usually sit in his car while I played on the playground with my maid.

My father was never a loving person; he was very blunt and rarely gave me any words of encouragement. And of course when we lived apart, it was like he barely even existed…

I used to see his postings on Facebook about our family vacations. Although we did get to spend some time together, it was never right. His heart was never really there to spend quality time with me.

I barely know his side of the family. The only time I met them was during Eid of 2010 when I was seven years old, I am now pushing 20 in December, and the only person I know is my cousin, Hanis who I got to know through Facebook a few years ago.

A few days ago, I just got a part-time job as a host at a local café nearby. After months of trying to find a job with my bare minimum qualifications, I was so happy and more than grateful to be given the opportunity to work.

I got paid RM50 for my first day. After my mother passed away, the house where we lived together no longer feels like home. My step-brother and his wife and kids moved in, but there is a lot of tension between us so I feel that no one cares about my well-being. I had been starving and now am extremely eager to spend some money on some good food.


As I was walking around the area of PJ New Town, I suddenly felt a rush of nostalgia when I saw the KFC branch where I used to dine at. I remember the times when I was a kid, my late mother would take me to hotels and fancy restaurants to have breakfast, lunch or dinner. But when it came to celebrating my little gains, none of those places were on the list no Hilton, Armada, Majestic, nor Singgahsana. No Baskin Robbins, Hagen Dazz nor Godiva chocolates were mentioned And no reservations at Victoria’s Stations…

Instead, my mother would always bring home a bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken to celebrate my birthdays and good grades on my report card. She would always try to feed me the mashed potatoes like I was still a baby…

Even when I failed my exams, she would still do the same, a bucket of fried chicken from KFC on the dining table to be shared with the family. My brother, Farhan, and the part time maid, and Mom would say these seven wonderful words: “You’ve tried, Baby… I’m proud of you,.” and kiss my forehead after… She told me that when her parents were around, they would always bring her and her siblings to KFC, once a month as it was considered quite expensive then, and for a middle class family, it was considered a privilege…

There is another reason KFC is special to me. Although I barely had any time spent with my father, I still remember the time when I was a kid, my mother was away for work and my brother had to stay back at school for his rugby training, and there was no one at home to look after me. So my mom asked my father to take me to his office to ‘babysit’ me after school and send me back home in the evening, That time I had just finished my exams and my mom told him to treat me to lunch at KFC, that was a branch in the area of Taman Medan. That was the one and only time I had ever eaten with him alone…

“It’s just a chicken!” some might say. But to some people like myself, it could mean a lot more than just food to digest at the table; it’s the memories, and the nostalgia of my childhood.

Right now, still sitting at the table at KFC, I am trying my best to hold back my tears so that I won’t cry in front of these people eating chicken…


If Mama was still alive, I would sell everything I have left to feed her with my bare hands again., even just for one day… I would feed her KFC mashed potatoes.

People nowadays don’t understand how ‘luxurious’ fast food restaurants were back in those days… I am very grateful and honoured to be given such a memorable ‘family tradition’ to cherish…

Popular Posts