'Love', Has It Lost Its Meaning?

written by Qadeem Zieman
I take a look on the left and right, and I see couples in love
But sometimes I wonder, what the true meaning of ‘love’ is… and those people I see everyday, are they actually in love? Or are they just stuck in a world of their own, with their own definitions of the word ‘love’ which used to have so many meanings to represent each feeling of romance…
Love, is it when two hearts collide in one mold, or is it when one sees another as a source of fulfillment to fill up his or her life with materialistic needs and wants?,
Or in a case where I’ve dived into personally…
Is it really ‘love’ when one sees another person as an object to wrap a bandage over a feeling of lust only for a short while, until the adhesive becomes sloppy, then goes on repeating the same pattern to yet another person, and keeps the cycle going?

Because it seems to me that people nowadays are only looking for pleasures in bed, rather than finding peace in life…
Most people in this current world we live in are more interested in having random hook-ups,
While the others in my case, are looking for REAL connections may it be in any kind of relationship…
But what happens when these two groups of people of different perspectives meet up and talk about love together? One refers to sex as love, while the other one looks at love as a much more complex sensation, more like a mix of feelings put together…
A feeling of warmth, intimacy, respect, security and the feeling of relaxation when being together, and sometimes not even being together in bed, but maybe while lounging on the couch,
Or spending time outside of the abode, walking in the park, buying groceries or even when having a meal… well, at least that’s what I felt, and to me… that is love…
It is when I feel safe and secure beside my partner, it’s when I feel comfortable and relaxed when we’re on the couch watching television together…
It’s when I get to call someone or maybe even just send a text to that person when I’m feeling anxious or upset about something…

Touch and looks are still important, but… it shouldn’t be the main factor to look for. I do believe in love at first sight, sometimes I tend to fall for someone based on their cuteness and behavior… I love it when one gets annoyed and it shows up on the face… And as for touch, of course one would always look for pleasures in bed, it’s not something to be ashamed of, let alone stay away from. Who doesn’t love a good intimate time with each other… but maybe that’s just from my point of view, and maybe that’s just the way I prefer it to be.

And I do understand that we can’t force people into doing things the way we want them to.
Just like my ex said to me when we finally talked again… “You see, that’s the problem… Expectations… we can’t expect things to go our way.”
Although I really wanted to reply “Oh! Like the time we were together and I never expected you to choose someone else over me?”
But I didn’t, I just said sorry… because just like how some people take the word ‘love’ as a general word with no specific meaning to reflect on feelings.
‘Sorry’ for me was just another word said with no intentional direction…

But now that it’s over, I’m wondering… will I ever find someone to love, and someone to love me too? Someone who has the same definition of the word ‘Love’ as I do in mind?
And… will I ever find LOVE just in general? Or has it really lost its meaning and overall value? I hope not, because if that’s the case, I’d rather be trapped in a cave with no light coming in, than to have yet another cute, adorable face come up to me, only to disappoint me once again with my own so called ‘Expectations’…

2nd of May 2023
Love, Qadeem Zieman.

Popular Posts